Wednesday, August 1, 2007

No more suspense ...

I did not break any records. I had to stop my hike after 3.5 days, at mile 130. (was planning 5-6 days and 210 miles.) The choice to stop mainly rested on my inability to eat my main food source. I'm not a fan of coconut and the food-bars that I was planning to use for the majority of my calories ended up tasting like coconut bars. (At elevation, under extreme exertion, food tastes different, and never for the better. I thought I had sufficiently tested these but apparently not.) I was left with only about 1800 calories / day (instead of the planned 4000), roughly amounting to 5 handfuls of nuts and some energy shots called Shotbloks. Instead of the planned 1lb of weight lose per day I lost over 2lbs. After 3.5 days, 35 - 40 miles/day, and 27,000 ft of elevation gain I ran out of gas and called it quits. I exited at Vermilion Resort. In the end, it was an amazing experience and one more thing I've learned not to do on a low calorie diet ;)

No comments: