Monday, March 12, 2007

Varietal Update

During training I'm focused on averaging 4 miles per hour while walking. So far it's going well. Last weekend I completed 14 miles on steep terrain and kept the pace though I was pretty tired for several days after. When I hike with other people I generally add 50 percent to my weight. (They are generally less interested in maintaining a 4 mile per hour pace.) The variety of strength and speed seems to work well for my legs and I feel the difference. This is a 27 mile week.

I purchased my first piece of gear specifically for the hike. The vest is my insulation layer. I have to say, gear does get me excited. In addition I nervously got my first pedicure. Since my feet will make or break the hike, it seemed important to take care of them anyway possible. I wanted to reduce my callouses and get my nails appropriately cut and filed, all to reduce the chance of blisters. (Blisters under a callous are impossible to fix.) It was great and I will continue to schedule monthly.

I've been corresponding through email with the other person also trying to break the record. It's been interesting trading tips.

1 comment:

Danger said...

Need a pedicure buddy? Just call Keith!