Monday, January 22, 2007

Gear list - the beginning

I was planning to post a list of specific gear that I was going to take with me. As the list developed I realized that I still have a ton of unanswered questions regarding which specific gear I'm taking along. Almost every piece still has me guessing and desiring to experiment. Because I'm not yet able to post specifics, below is a general gear list with some notes. Future posts will have the questions I'm working through and (hopefully) solutions.

Worn:
Sneakers
Socks
Tights
Pants
Shirt
Watch
Hat - sun
Trekking poles
Necklace

Extra cloths:
Socks
Socks - sleeping
Wind shirt
Insulation - upper-body
Rain protection
Hat - sleeping
Gloves - probably just use socks
River crossing footwear

Sleep:
Sleeping bag or half bag
Stuff sack
Tent / tarp
Stakes - ?
Ground cloth
Sleeping pad

Kitchen:
Food storage
Water storage
Water purification

Kit:
Sun block
Chap stick
Sun glasses
Light
Batteries - extra
Toilet paper
Purell
Toothbrush - ?
Small towel - ?
Maps
ID
Cash
Sat. Phone
Camera - ?
Stuff sack
Foot tape
Personal meds.
Trowel - ?

Emergency kit:
Steri strips
Sterile pad
Neosporin
Imodium
Ibuprofen
Duct tape
Lighter or flint and steel
Tinder
Safety pins
Needle
Compass
Matches - ?
Candle - ?

1 comment:

Mark said...

I wonder about the trekking poles.  Are you really going over radically uneven terrain or doing long downhills with bad knees?  Otherwise it seems that they're more work than they're worth, exercising your upper body when all you really need to use is your legs.  They're useful to pack, however, if your tent/tarp uses them.

Regarding the flint and steel; I've had great luck (and fun) with a magnesium block and striker.  Just use your multi-tool to scrape off some metal, then use the striker and you've got a hot flame for setting just about anything (they claim even tires) on fire.  You won't need matches with it, and I imagine that you can find a stick that can double as a candle.  Tinder?  Are you seriously expecting that you won't be able to find tinder in the woods?

Batteries are quite heavy.  How many spares are you going to bring?  While electric light is nice, I think you can get by with fire light.  Toilet paper is a luxury.  Leaves are abundant.  If you bring a toothbrush (I notice you didn't list toothpaste) cut off the handle to make it as small and light as possible.

How much cash are you going to bring?  Do you really have a sat phone?  I understand those things are quite heavy (not to mention expensive), but I guess it's better safe than sorry. It looks like you can rent them for about $130 for two weeks.

Ditch the trowel and just use a stick if you're going to dig a latrine.

Check out Surivorman on the Science Channel, www.survivorman.ca.  He goes into the woods via helicopter with 60lbs of camera gear and usually nothing more than a multi-tool and the clothes on his back. He then hikes his way out (most times).  Very useful tips.